Friday, December 07, 2007

Bah. Winter.

It is winter. Officially. Well, really, it has technically been winter for a while.... but it was not until this week that I really acknowledged that it was here. It is at this time that I dig out the winter gear, and begin to warm up my car for 20 minutes every morning. It is also the time of year that my morning grouchy-ness increases about 10 fold.
Few people have witnessed the true nature of grouchy that I am when I wake up in the morning. My mom and sisters have gotten the worst of it in the past... and since my dad is usually gone to work before I trudge downstairs... he didn't really ever see me at my worst. Basically, there are 4 rules for the morning when dealing with me:
1) DO NOT steal my shower time, then act surprised when I am irritated and waiting outside with my towel. I shower at the SAME TIME EVERY WEEKDAY MORNING. And if I need it at a different time, I announce it the night before. DO NOT SCREW WITH THE SCHEDULE.
2) DO NOT dry your hair in the master bathroom AT THE SAME TIME THAT I AM DRYING MY HAIR in my room. We are on the same circuit and if there are 2 dryers going at the same time, we blow a fuse. EVERY TIME. And you know what? I DRY MY HAIR AT THE SAME TIME EVERY MORNING.
3) DO NOT ask me questions.
4) If you break rule 3, DO NOT say 'what?' when I mumble something that I am fully aware is incomprehensible.

ANYWAY, yesterday morning, I woke up to the ending of some Avril Lavigne song playing in the background and our local radio personality says 'It's a cold one out there today folks.... -40C, so dress warm!!!!'
[For those of you who don't know, or who are American and use the Fahrenheit system, -40C=-40F. This is the point on the temperature scale(s) that Celsius and Fahrenheit meet. Also known as: the point at which living things will freeze in 4.2 seconds. Okay, the second part of that is not true... and honestly, I've experienced -53C before.... but -40 is no joke.]

And do you know what I did when I heard that it was -40 outside? I pulled the blankets over my head, fell back asleep (with the radio on) for 2 hours. I refused to get up. I refused to get ready. I refused to go outside. All day. I spent the day working at home (on the little work that I could do) and drank tea and hot chocolate.

I have always liked winter, and never really had a problem with living in a place that is famous for being ridiculously cold...but this year it is different. I have lost my cold tolerance. Last year I would have laughed at -40. I would have shaken my fist in the air and said 'is that all you've got? HAHAHAHAHA'. This year, I retreat into my house and execute a hole-up plan with my little dog, muttering about how the only living thing that should live in this place is an 800lbs buffalo. I think I need to consider either a) becoming a full-on hermit through winter (not unlike hibernation), or b) spend the winter months somewhere else. Both, require serious re-arrangement of my life.

#18. My favorite TV show is How I Met Your Mother. It is hilarious. The kind of hilarious that makes people think you are completely insane when you giggle hysterically when you are alone in your room.

No comments: