Monday, August 20, 2007

Monday...

I am sitting in my very empty office, munching on an apple and listening to music (without my headphones on). All three of these seemingly normal things are very uncommon on a Monday in my office. Usually, there are three or more people in here, I only can eat an apple (or something equally crunchy) in the lounge, and I ALWAYS have to listen to music with earphones in.

I woke up at 6 am feeling slightly anxious due to some seriously weird/disturbing dreams last night, then convinced myself to sleep for another hour or so. I woke up 2 and a half hours later because my alarm clock likes to fuck with me. I rush in the shower, and haphazardly put on my make-up and dry my hair (both of which are already looking a little disheveled), and then rush out to my car.

It is at this very moment that I remember that I am completely out of gas.... so much so, that I didn't think I would make it into my driveway last night. Dammit. I coax my car to the gas station 3 km away and hop out. A 'Please Pay Inside Before Pumping' sign is plastered over the display of pie charts on the pump illustrating that 49% of the cost of gas is due to government taxes. I walk inside (a little annoyed) and stand in line for nearly 15 minutes while the cashier chats with another employee who is NOT DOING ANYTHING. When I finally get the the front, I say 'I'd like $50 gas'. The cashier gives me a look and says 'well did you already pump it?' and I reply 'No... there is a sign out there saying to pay first!!!'. She then tries to convince me that the sign also says 'only after 11pm'. It doesn't. I know it doesn't. So I say 'okay, well, I'd still like $50 gas', thinking that she can just charge me now, so I don't have to wait in line again. She sighs, and says alright... I suppose we could do that for you. It took everything in me not to throw all the Kit Kats at her sitting beside me on the counter.

Annoyed, I finish pumping exactly $50 gas and drive off. I then sit in traffic for 20 minutes (on my 7 minute commute to work) because there is construction on every single route to work in this city. I debate with myself of what is worse. Sitting in construction in the summer, or driving 10 km/hr in the winter because it is icy. I decide that winter driving is worse and force myself to get into a better mood. 10:00 rolls around and I finally walk into my very empty building, wondering where everyone is. The coffee shop is closed, all the doors to offices are closed, nobody is in the building. I think it is a holiday or something. Either that, or they are fumigating the building and I am about to be gassed out of my office. At this point, I am not sure which one would be worse.

No comments: