Thursday, December 28, 2006

9 years ago

Time- 1998.

During the class president nomination 'ceremony' of my grade 8 class, I was nominated. Flattered, and somewhat surprised, I accepted the nomination and campaigned for the presidency. I won. And then we had recess. During that 15 minutes, I was accused of 'buying' votes from my classmates and being 'pushed' in by the teacher because he wanted a girl on the committee (by the opposition). Keep in mind, these were a bunch of 13 year olds. The opposition was an interesting fellow.... one who most people either did not know or did not like, yet most of the students believed him. Less than one hour later, 5 people were in the Principal's office (including myself), no less than 3 kids were crying (including myself) and one person got suspended for 2 days (not me). I resigned as president the next day.
This is the first memory I have of realizing how much influence one person can have, regardless of their position in the group.
Anyway, I dreamt about this last night. It was weird.

No comments: