Wednesday, January 03, 2007

You can brave decisions before you crumble up and die

The first day back after a vacation is usually not the most enjoyable day... to say the least. I have been back for 2 hours (if that) and I am already on my blog...after spending the previous hour checking my e-mail, reading up on some blogs, flipping through my iPod looking for something interesting to listen to for the next hour or so... you know, the usual. Anyway, I have spent the last week on edge because I hadn't done any work during the holidays and had convinced myself that I must have deleted an e-mail or lost a memo informing me of an extremely important meeting that was to be held promptly at 8:00am today. I didn't lose or delete anything... and I am a little disappointed because maybe, just maybe, if I had a meeting on Friday I would get some work done today.
As per usual, I did not fall asleep until around 4ish last night...and woke at 7:30 this morning. And by woke, I mean fell out of bed trying to turn off my alarm that I 'strategically' placed on my new bookshelf across my room. So far, not so good. I re-set my alarm for 7:50 due to an occupied shower (reason 145 to move out) and stumbled back into bed muttering about how stupid it is to put my alarm clock across my room, and how stupid I was to not check the volume dial after moving it. It had turned up...a lot.
I arrived in my office at around 10, after running into like 10 people walking up the stairs. Why is it that on the day that you feel (and probably look) soooooo shitty, you run into people that you haven't seen in like 2 years? What the hell?
Anyway, my boss doesn't come back until this weekend (news to me), ALL of my officemates have not returned yet (and probably won't until next week) and I am sitting here feeling like a tool because I have 8 hours to get work done and all I can do is think about how I could leave right now and no one would have to know.
Is everyone in the work force this unmotivated? I am doing this research because I think it is interesting and yet... I still can't bring myself to do it! I make my own schedule, make my own goals and objectives, have time to actually read books during down time, get paid to get a second degree, AND get weekends off, yet I am still so unmotivated right now.

How am I going to have a career doing something that I might not necessarily like all the time and manage NOT to get fired for posting blogs about how much I hate it everyday?! Is this what I am to look forward to for the next 30 years?

No comments: