Sunday, November 19, 2006

Damn seminar man

Well, the seminar was a bust. Seriously. I forgot that my department never (and i mean never) does anything on time, or orderly, or anything of the sort. For one thing, there are usually only about 20 people at these seminars (the lowly grad students who are forced to go for credit) and a few interested profs....Anyway, since I already know that these things usually start about 5-10 minutes late, I show up at about 4:03 thinking I can snatch a spot close to the door to sneak out at 4:45 or so (hopefully during the question period).
Well, I was unpleasantly surprised to find the room completely packed with undergrad students... I immediately scanned the room for a chair close to one of the doors...no such luck. I ended up sitting in the back row (thank God) in the seat FURTHEST from the door. Me, thinking that I could slither out and only the lecturer would see was appealing to me, so I settle in for a boring talk.
What I didn't know about this particular seminar was the fact that this guy was on a lecture tour, and springing for free pizza and pop for anyone who shows up....and now the undergrads squishing into the room made sense. Free food and drink is a sure fire way to make poor undergrad students come arunning. So this guy starts 10 minutes late and goes into a speech about boosting his company (total waste of time) and 10 minutes later.... the pizza arrives. This guy (rather than wait until he is done talking) stops his lecture to let everyone eat. It is now 4:25, and he has not started his schedualed lecture. Dammit. So, I am thinking that this will take about 5 minutes. It doesn't. It takes 10 minutes for everyone to get their pizza (myself NOT included because I was panic striken about being massively late for my job-which I really shouldn't even have in the first place). So I am sitting here, hungry and panicing when all of a sudden, the pop shows up. So NOW everyone who had just sat down, gets up to get some pop. FUCK! It took everything in me not to stand up and scream at the guy that some of us have shit to do so get the fuck on with your talk! Anyway, it is now 4:40 and I'm trying to plan an escape route and just as I am about to get up, the guy starts to talk.
To make matters worse, this guy who I used to have a thing for is sitting on the counter by the door because no seats are available. So now he is going to think that I came for the pizza and bolted when I finished. greeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. So I bite the bullet and make my move to leave. As I step over a backpac in the middle of the aisle, I hit a chair and make a massively huge noise that made almost everyone turn around. dammit.
I just kept walking, with the eyes of everyone on me thinking about how rude it was for me (a lowly grad student) to disrupt this distinguished lecturer. Whatever. If he had just come and done his talk on time without bribing people with pizza, this wouldn't have happened.
I made it to work with 2 minutes to spare.
I don't know why I am working at this new job. It doesn't really make sense. It is not like i'm bored and have a whole bunch of time to spend at another job.
Agh. Whatever.
Now I get to study for my exam for 2-3 hours....until studio 60 is on.
26 days.... yikes!

2 comments:

Eeeeekkk said...

Don't sweat it about Mr. Object of Your Affection thinking that you only showed up for free food. After all, men are well used to watching women stuff their face at someone else's expense and then make an ungraceful dash for the door: it's called dating.

Good luck on your remaining couple weeks.

MaryAnne said...

Nice.
I am pretty sure this guy has already got my number. We've been playing a weird game for at least a year, and everytime I swear I'm over him...he does something, or says something that pulls me back into it.
So I guess him thinking I ate and ran is the least of my problems.