Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Snow storms and all of their glory.

This morning I awoke to a glorious downfall of pure white snow blanketing the ground and everything touching it. ahhh. I love snow. I won't deny it. It make me feel like i'm 10 years old again with no worries in the world. Alas...this feeling did not last long. I should make it clear that while I love snow like a 10 year old child, I also hate it like the birds that fly south for the winter.
I remember thinking at around 6am that the snow fall would not last long.... 7:30 rolls around and still no signs of stopping. I haven't left for school because I would rather sit at home and wait for the morning traffic to clear the roads (somewhat) and die down a little. 3 cups of coffee later I decide to take the plunge and header on out.
My car had a foot of snow piled on every surface that was even slightly horizontal.
Oh well, I say.... the price for a glorious snow storm.
20 minutes later I have removed all snow from the car.... it is now on the ground (on top of that foot of snow) as I trample over it trying not to pack any more into my socks as my ankles are going numb.
At this point I am only slightly irritated.....quite manageable.
Then, I realize that not only did it snow, but it rained last night (before the snow) so all of my windows are covered in ice. Have you ever tried to scrape ice from a windshield?! If so, then you know my frustration...if not, then I hope you never will.
Anyway, 20 minutes later of scraping away the ice, I finally finish (it is now 9:30). As I walk around my car, with my nice wool jacket covered in sticky snow, I hit a patch on the drive way that the snow has been blown off to unveil glassy ice on the cement and BAM! I hit the ground like a 300 pound man doing a belly flop. This was not graceful by any means of the imagination. As I lay there in the snow, I think about how lucky I was to have fallen onto mounds of soft snow. Granted, I am now completely covered in the sticky snow (which will surely melt to make me soaking wet), andI get in my little car and attempt the measly 15 minute commute to the university.
I made it 10 meters.
I got stuck infront of my house. Perfect. Reverse, forward, reverse, forward....rocking myself back and forth, I finally get some traction and I am on my way.... 10 meters later I do a 360 at the corner and 2 inches from a parked car....I almost shit myself.
I make it to the freeway and traffic is going 40 km/hr.... it takes me 20 minutes to make it to my exit, at which point, I think I'm home free.
I cautiously make it to the campus and pull into the parking lot.....then I come to the realization that the snow has not been paved... not even close. Cars are strewn about, half parked, half stuck, half in the middle of a lane abandoned.
My game plan was to park as close to the exit as possible so I did not have to navigate through the snowy abyss that is my parking lot. Parking attempt 1, 2 and 3 were not acceptable.... too much snow. At one point I did get stuck and a nice cute boy offered to push me out. I graciously accepted his offer and smiled sweetly, only to go back to swearing like a longshoreman as soon as I closed the window.
What I had forgotten is that my new car has reverse in the upper left corner of the stickshift.... not the lower right. So I look down to see the gear shift in the 1st gear (really in reverse) and floor it. I almost ran this kid over. Jesus Christ. He left, uninjured and surely changed for life, while I slowly make my way to a parking spot and back over the snow many many times.

Now, all I have to do is walk to the building (typically 5 or 7 minutes). Today it took me 16.
Between the ice under the snow, the mounded balls of snow packed over it, the 1 foot diameter walkway, and the rude/ungentlemenly like men walking in the opposite direction who refused to step on the snow surrounding said walkway, I arrived at the building door muttering and glaring with mascara running down my face and wet hair.

At this point, I am clearly not happy about the snowstorm that had pleased me only hours before and I climb up the 3 flights of stairs to my office to find Brit, along with 3 other grad students laughing and talking and asking 'what took you so long?!' to me as I peel off the wet jacket to reveal wet jeans and sweater. Apparently, they didn't notice that there is a fucking snow storm happening outside and they were flown to school on a magical carpet that does not get stuck in snow.
And now I'm here.... 2 hours late....with class in 30 minutes (for which I have not finished that assignment) and grouchy.

Why can't I be 10 again!?

No comments: