Saturday, November 25, 2006

Do not piss off lesbians.

It is 3:00 am. Yes, I am aware that the time that will be posted will not correspond to this time. I do not know how to change it, nor do I have the patience to learn how, so it is going to stay as is. Just know that I am always 2 hours ahead.

I managed to do absolutely nothing today...all day. Sometimes I do not know what is wrong with me. It is beyond me why I even bothered going into work today. Really. My day was spent reading old blogs that often made me literally laugh out loud (only to receive creepy/bizarre looks from the OM's- office mates), and wandering around my building looking for someone....anyone interesting to talk to. I did so unsuccessfully, but I did manage to run into a professor that have made boarderline sexual harassment comments to (or maybe just AT) me or my friends at one time during undergrad. (Ew)

As a direct cause of said comments, the smirks that they would give me only 6 months ago have turned into awkward/shifty glances as I pass by (which is now code for 'shit.... what the hell have I done... this girl knows all about me and my sketchy past.... and she was supposed to be out of here 6 months ago!).

Ah, the politics of college. good times.

I should mention that these encounters make me (understandably) extremely uncomfortable. As an undergrad, I laughed at thier jokes (Read: come ons), and engaged in innocent banter while rapidly changing the subject.
One thing I have learned about school is to not piss of the prof. You follow this one rule and you are already ahead of the game.
Now, however, these profs are not in control of my grades.... and they never will be. The thought of me 'outing' them (so to speak) about their affliction for girls 1/2 their age, while holding a significant position of authority over them, is truely hilarious to me. I would never do so, as I do not think that putting my academic career in jeopardy is worth these men getting a slap on the wrist (as I know of a few profs who have become involved with students and nothing ever happens....) but is still hilarious to me.

So there was that today, that was mildly entertaining.

Also, I am having a little bit of a predicament with a co-grad student.
I met her last year in a upper level class, and she had sat next to me. I did not know she was a grad student at the time, and treated her as such (which I think she appreciated because she seems to have taken a liking to me). So I was talking with her after the final for said class and she mentioned that she was going home to her 'partner's' home for christmas. Her partner is a woman. I played it off like I knew she was a lesbian (I didn't) and nodded enthusiastically and asked the required questions when posed with such a comment. Apparently, my inability to differentiate gay men (that are not flamboyantly gay) from straight men also extends to include differentiating gay women from straight woman. Interesting.

So when I was walking down the stairs today, she was behind me (and although I did not know it was her, I knew someone was there...about 15 ft away) and as I rounded the first flight, she said 'Hi maryanne' at the same freaking exact time that I said 'Hi Tom' to a friend coming UP the stairs. I debated turning around and talking to her, but thought it would be weird as I would have had to engage in a dreaded 'Oh hi tom...err hi Becca.... oh wait...umm okay see you tom....what? oh...huh?' conversation. So I assumed that she thought that I hadn't heard her (because obviously, I talk super loud and drown out any outside voices) and opted to keep walking and assume that she would assume I didn't hear her. No harm....right?

So about 4 hours later, she was coming down the stairs as I was going up and I purposefully said 'Oh Hi Becca!' 'How have you been?'......Silence. Nothing. hmmmm. Does she think that I was ignoring her because she is a lesbian? I really wasn't. I am just not good in weird small talk chats with 2 people at the same time! Honest.
Do lesbians hold grudges? Am I going to get put on a lesbian hit list!? hmmmmm.
I will keep you posted.

By the way, I love lesbians.... *nervous giggle*.... please don't kill me.

No comments: