Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Studying at Home.

31 days and counting...
I stayed home today, to avoid the second snow storm of the season (I didn't want a repeat of what happened the last time it snowed this much..), and I must say, the snow is much more enjoyable from inside!
Anyway, I've staked a claim on the kitchen table and am going to push through a good 8 hours of studying... no project, no research, no nothing... except studying. Lord, does it sound tiring. Usually, I like studying. I have methods that make things easy to remember, and a process that usually consists of alternating time fragments of 1 hour study, 10 minute coffee, 1 hour study, play with dog for 15 minutes, 1 hour study, 30 minute lunch, 1 hour study, 10 minute coffee...and so on. It is impossible to study for more than an hour and actually LEARN something. However, I do not like studying for this class for a few reasons
1) He has not given a required text book, but rather RECOMMENDED reading. This really means, 'here are 4 text books an 2 sheets of journal articles to read', they are all covered on the final. Gross. There is too much info for one person to cram into their noggen. Even if I have 31 days.
2) His notes don't makes sense. Most of the really hard stuff is not shown, rather, he just says stuff like 'derive in class', 'example in class' and so on. My class notes look more like:

-As temperature increases, and surface area is increased, then the most important reaction that can take places is.... what the fuck?! LOOK THIS UP. agh. *underline look this up*.

Studying at home is not all it is cracked up to be though. Between my dog begging for biscuits, then begging to go outside, then begging for more biscuits, then wanting to sit on my lap (he is little), my mom doing something in the kitchen, or vacuuming, or talking to me and then saying 'oh i'm sorry honey, are you busy?' and my dad coming home for lunch and spreading the newspaper allllllll over my papers and chuckling to himself and saying 'oh you need a break anyway' heh heh. It is not easy to get anything done.
Reason 123 to move out!

1 comment:

Dolly Paolucci said...

Hmm, maybe you can also set a study camp in your bedroom if there are distractions all around the kitchen. But yeah, studying at home can really give you a break from the classroom hullabaloos. You can handle your own time and pace, which is good because you know the best time for you to study and how much information you can take in.